Orange, Lake, and Seminole Counties, FL
Client: Volunteer Efforts to Support Environmental Awareness and The Friends of the Wekiva River
Principal Ecologist: Dr. Jay Exum has led 2 comprehensive BioBlitzes and 10 annual Christmas Bird Counts on natural lands in the Wekiva Basin.
Exum Associates believes in participating in the community and actively engaging in organizations that make a difference on issues we are passionate about. We support conservation and environmental education initiatives in the natural lands in the Wekiva Basin with financial support, time and expertise. Dr. Jay Exum’s involvement in the Basin has spanned 20 years and dozens of assignments that can clearly be termed labours of love.
Through intense and sustained efforts, lead academic researchers, biologists, citizen scientists and natural resource personnel in the compilation of biological diversity inventories across 75,000 acres of public lands in the Wekiva Basin.
- Conducting biological surveys over 75,000 acres of remote conservation lands
- Organizing more than 100 free-thinking scientists and natural resource enthusiasts
- Creating a consistent way to compile biological data from different resource experts across 4 different state parks
- Led more than 150 scientists and students on “BioBlitzes”
- Documented more than 2000 species of plants, invertebrates and vertebrates in the basin
- Expanded the species accounts on 4 different state parks in the Wekiva Basin by hundreds of individual species
- Spawned additional research by scientists at the University of Central Florida and expanded the reach of 25 years of data collection of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
- Enhanced the enthusiasm of more than 50 college students from numerous universities in the region